Friday, March 5, 2010

My Return to Lima

By the time I ended up in Lima, Tuesday night, I was pretty glam busted.  For two days, I had traveled for over 30 hours (OMG).  Leaving the totally awesome True/False Film Festival that my dj crew, The DC Hot Commodities, djayed in Columbia, Missouri.  To jetting back to D.C. to finish packing my life into 3 months.  And then heading off to Dulles 6 hours after I land from our trip to Missouri so that I can start my tiring journey to Peru.  Luckily, my fear of flying was temporarily shut off by my need for sleep. So yeah most of my journey down south, I don't  remember because I was drooling away in seat 7a and 47b on TACA airlines. 
                                  
After traveling that much, it really means a lot to see someone familiar as soon as you go through customs or leave the baggage claim.  Everything seems so surreal like you're floating and your ability to make decisions, at least for me, is pretty much lost when i'm traveling more than 4 hours.  Also, when you step out of customs at the Jorge Chavez airport, you are greeted by a couple of hundred people waiting for someone they love or a tourist that they are assigned to pick up.  You feel like you're part of a touring rock band or you're walking the runway at some fashion week even if you see the disappointment from people that you're not who they are looking for or the instant change from excitement to the "I'm done with you. Move on so that I can see who I came for"!

Despite my mind entering death territory and the cries of  'morena' (WTF) from people who wanted my attentions, my energy level picked up with each step across the airport runway,  and I scanned the room for my lima crew. Not seeing them but also not totally having the mental faculties to see them.  I remember thinking..."i love banners. The hot commodities needs a banner. Like that banner I see over there with that person that looks a lot like me djaying at the place that looks a lot like the place we djayed at the True/False festival.."  And as if heaven opened up its arms to kiss me, i realize that chuya and precolumbian are there waiting for me with the banner of my dreams.  Impromptu, bright, and grounded in reality and excitement over Popsicles and music!!!  


 

1 comment:

  1. THAT'S SO COOL BLOG AND IT'S INTERESTING TO READ YOU POSTS, EACH ONE IS A REAL STORY OF YOUR LIFE..... GOD BLESS YOU FOREVER AND EVER

    ReplyDelete