Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What I did? What I didn't Do? --My Word Document for Distrito Federal Life Part I

I created a list of things I wanted to see and food I wanted to eat before I traveled to Mexico City.  I turned it into a word document to give to my friends that planned to visit.  It's a good idea i think for anyone who is stressed out by giving recommendations.  I spent alot of time scouring the internet for this stuff. 

And a lot of that time felt wasted because the internet is not a friendly place when your travel tastes don't match a lot of what is offered in the search engines. I am only going to post 3 or 4 items a day and also this list is not in any particular order:

1.  El Moro. I really like 24 hour food spots. Whether it's a Waffle House by the highway or The Diner in Adams Morgan, I like to know that if I'm hungry, bored, or on the run there will be some place for me to go and relax at whatever hour I choose.  And that's why I love El Moro, which is open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. El Moro is a cafeteria that serves Spanish style churros--deep-fried, sugar-coated doughnuts-- and hot chocolate on the Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas #42. I don't like hot chocolate unless it's super thick (spanish style) so I've ordered milkshakes instead.  The strawberry is pretty excellent! And for those who like old cafeteria style diners, El Moro is great to.  I think most of the waitstaff has worked there probably at least half of the age of the place.

Note: Take the green line to San Juan de Letran metro stop.


2.  Little Korea.  I'm definitely being generous by calling this area Little Korea but if you go to the gayborhood of Zona Rosa and ask where is la calle Florencia. Once you are on that street, you'll notice that there are at least a dozen korean joints either on Florencia or on some of the side streets intersecting with that street.  It's pricier in comparison to Menu options (the mexican restuarant meal(s) of the day usually between 1 and 5 p.m.) or street food.  But for one straight week, I think I ate soup at a korean restaurant every other day because I couldn't deal with traditional mexican food. And my body rejected most nutrients after the pulque disaster.

3.   Lucha Libre at Arena MexicoWrestling and testosterone driven action movies starring white men (like chuck norris and steven segal) have been me and my father's only bonding points.  After reading my first Hernandez Brothers comics as a teen, I knew I loved Mexican style wrestling, Lucha Libre.  The masks, operatic drama, the absurdity, the circus quality to everything.  And I couldn't leave Mexico without seeing a lucha match.  Thanks to the motivation of Chuya we saw an awesome fight one thursday night in January. And it was only 30 pesos each for seats that were pretty good. I didn't take pictures unfortunately. 

Even though our tickets were really cheap...I think the range is from 70 to 300  pesos.  Also outside of the arena is tons of lucha merchandise that's nice to check out especially for those that love glitter.

Note: Arena Mexico is between Balderas and Cuauhtemoc metro stops on the pink line

No comments:

Post a Comment