Friday, August 13, 2010

Beach Series: La Punta

I feel pretty disjointed like this picture Chuya took of me at La Punta--this pretty amazing rock beach in Callao (talking about Lima, Peru, folks). I wanted to take a rock bath since most people would pay money for hot rocks to be lain across their body like this.  It was my first time going to a crowded beach in South America.  All of the times I had gone to the beach was during the middle of the week, pretty early in the day and way out of town  or at the edge of town but this was my day to be totally exposed in ways that I find generally uncomfortable--16 year old mothershiester would never have gone to the beach in a bikini or a even a swimsuit of any kind. I'm pretty aware of the shape and size of my body most of the time.  But I am a lot less nervous about my curves than when I was a teen... at the same time it is different to be so naked around people who think your skin color is so strange, which means your body is so strange, exotic...something to stare at, something to point out.  I don't think I could've gone there with one or 2 people but it was a small gaggle of us so I felt less anxiety. I even went into the water--which is a whole another story of childhood anxiety nightmares.


No comments:

Post a Comment